On Tuesday, Airbus, a European plane maker said it is edging closer towards increasing the production of its best-selling model, while announcing the stability of the supply chain and deciding to manufacture more of its A320 in the coming months.
However, the company also acknowledged the further reduction in its A330 production due to the declining demand for the jet’s current version that faces intense competition against the new 787 Dreamliner of Boeing.
The company added that it is currently adjusting to the fluctuating demand when it comes to its most-cost generating products after beating Boeing last year of new commercial orders, despite delayed in deliveries.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Fabrice Bregier, said, both of the decisions will be effective in the coming months. During a news conference, the CEO also defended the A380, a double-decker aircraft, which has an uncertain future due to the recent shortage of new orders.
Bregier also added that the A380 was not considered as an icon, thus, decisions about the jet’s future would be treated on business grounds. Officials, however, reiterated that there were no serious discussions about cancelling the A380; regardless the unprepared remarks from Airbus’ finance director.
Based on the issued data on Tuesday, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal of Saudi has cancelled his order for a private A380.
The decision of the company is expected within this year if it will upgrade its 525-seater A380, its sole wide-body aircraft, but without the updated generation of engines that could likewise benefit from reduced oil prices.