For years, there have been murmurings of the benefits of curcumin as a pain fighter and as an anti-inflammatory. Then, research revealed that curcumin is actually found, in minuscule percentages, in the spice Turmeric.
Researchers are now finding properties that indicate that this may not only relieve inflammation and pain, but it may also improve memory and the overall feeling of well-being.
The Realization of an Age-Old Benefit Brough by Turmeric
Turmeric has been widely used for centuries in Indian cuisine. Therefore, it may not be a simple irony that India has a lower rate of Alzheimer’s disease than the United States. Professor Gary Small, part of the University of California, believes that since curcumin naturally reduces inflammation, it could likely perform this amazing feat in the brain as well. Swelling of the brain is often found in both Alzheimer’s and depressed patients.
Other Remarkable Benefits
Not only does curcumin work its wonders on brain-related issues, specifically Alzheimer’s and depression. The substance has also shown empirical promise in treating the following physical and mental health issues in several ways.
- It has been proven to increase anti-oxidants in the body.
- In addition to mental disorders, it appears to boost brain-derived neurotrophic factor, thereby reducing the risks of other brain diseases.
- The spice is advantageous in adjusting numerous heart-related factors, such as blood pressure, blood clotting, and improving endothelial function.
- Curcumin shows promise in helping ease age-related chronic diseases and aging, including debilitating problems such as chronic arthritis.
- Perhaps most monumentally, it has shown promise in treating various forms of cancer.
It was now been proven that cooking with turmeric on a daily basis comes with health benefits to our diet. Considering that the spice itself contains a very small amount of the concentrated pain agent curcumin, research indicates that taking a daily supplement, available in health stores and online, is a diligent and healthy choice.
Image Source: StaticFlickr