Before telling you how you can activate one of YouTube’s greatest, albeit concealed, function, we should tell you that it does not refer to anything ominous or macabre. YouTube’s dark mode is simply a way to dim the brightness of your monitor so that you can enjoy movies or clips in cinema-like quality. This article will show you what you need to do in order to activate YouTube’s dark mode. Be prepared to use your browser’s developer mode and to edit a couple of lines of code.
What You’ll Need to Enable Dark Mode
Unfortunately, this trick only works on Google’s Chrome, meaning that you are used to Opera or Firefox, then you should definitely think about switching to Chrome 57 or a later version. Luckily, Chrome’s setup takes only a few minutes and working with Chrome is easy.
2. A Line Code
As mentioned before, this is one of YouTube’s off the grid functions and can be only accessed by entering a specific command line using Chrome’s developer tools.
3. One minute of your Time
Even though you’re not accustomed to using developer tools or working with code, this procedure is very easy, and it will only take a minute or so. The instruction might seem a bit disconcerting, but if you follow out step-by-step guide, you should have no problem enabling the dark mode.
How to Enable the Dark Mode in YouTube
Eager to enhance your YouTube movie-viewing experience? Then here’s how to turn on the site’s hidden cinema mode.
- Go to YouTube.
- Login to your account. For this trick to work, you must be logged in to your YouTube or Google Mail account. You can do that by pressing the circle-like button in the upper-right corner of you screen
- Fire up Google Chrome’s Developer Tools. You can do that by pressing the Menu button (three dots), selecting more tools, and clicking on Developer Tools. Alternatively, you can press CTRL + Shift + I on your keyboard.
- Click on the Console tab in the window on the right.
- To active YouTube’s dark mode, you will need to write or copy + paste this line of code in the console window: cookie=”VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE”
- Press your Enter key to confirm the command.
- Exit the Developer tool window.
- Press F5 to refresh YouTube.
- Navigate to your Profile’s menu, by clicking on the circle-like icon in the upper-right corner.
- From the menu, select the Activate Dark Mode feature.
Image source: Pixabay