Two years ago, Lidl was starting its operations to conquer America with a first, initial headquarters in Arlington, Virginia. In Europe, the company has already attained a great coverage through its network of around 10,000 stores. Each shop offers fresh edible goods and impressive discounts for material products for household and wardrobe. The German grocery chain announced the date of June 15 as the opening day within U.S. territory.
Lidl Grocery Chain Will Offer Products at Half Their Market Price
This summer, Lidl grocery chain will open its first batch of 20 stores in the United States. Spokespersons stated that the company intends to preserve a competitive edge by offering all products at half their price on the market. This would imply a negative impact already for its rivals which are already waging a price war among themselves. The chief executive officer of Lidl U.S., Brendan Proctor, is confident in the future success of this move.
“…it’s not about whether a market works for us but really about what we will do to make it work.”
Lidl Has Vast Expertise in Entering New Markets
This is not the first time Lidl enters with confidence in an already monopolized territory. Back in 1994, the German grocery chain started its activity in the United Kingdom from scratch. In today’s world, this company has 650 avenues in Britain and is one of the choices citizens make for their grocery shopping.
Therefore, Lidl has a vast experience with new markets. The company announced that the first locations to receive its stores are South Carolina, Virginia, and North Carolina. By the end of 2017, the grocery chain plans to open 80 further avenues with a total of new job openings of 5,000.
Several analysts have already suggested that the company will hit at least 330 U.S. stores by 2020. Each one of them will have around 20,000 square feet with only six aisles. However, the retailer is going to load all these stores with 90% personal brands while the rest of 10% will be foreign names.
Image source: 1