Recently, the health authorities have observed that there’s a new trend is rising among children – the DYI slime project. Why these home projects become so popular, it’s easy to guess since it requires ingredients that can be purchased at every corner store and supermarket and the results are guaranteed each time. However, some of the things used to prepare the so-called slime, such as Borax, can be dangerous, especially if children handle them.
An 11-year-old girl from Massachusetts was recently rushed to a Children’s Hospital’s emergency room after trying to make slime in the family’s kitchen. According to the doctors, the girl sustained second- and third-degree burns to her hands after prolonged exposure to sodium borate, the substance found inside Borax.
Siobhan Quinn, the mother of 11-year-old Kathleen Quinn, told the reporters that her daughter was in the kitchen preparing her school project when she heard her screaming and rushing towards the living room. When she saw her daughter, Kathleen’s hands were entirely covered by small blisters, as if she stuck her hand in an open flame.
The 11-year-old girl was immediately rushed to the nearby Children’s Hospital, where she received medical attention for the burns on her hands. After consulting Kathleen’s doctors, Siobhan found out that her daughter had sustained second- and third-degree burns as a result of prolonged exposure to Borax, one of the key ingredients to making the popular slime.
Siobhan declared that this isn’t the first time her daughter made slime in the family’s kitchen and that she knew very well how to handle the ingredients, especially Borax.
While slime is very easy to make and the results fantastic since you can personalize the project by adding things like dye, glitter, and even glow-in-the-dark paint, the health authorities have cautioned both children and their parents to pay extra attention when handling Borax.
Sodium borate, the substance found inside one of the products used to manufacture slime, can be very dangerous. If the substance is undiluted, it can cause severe burns to the hands. That’s why it’s a good idea to water down the substance before using it and to remember to wear protective gloves while working with the mix.
As of Kathleen Quinn of Massachusetts, although her hands are completely covered in blisters from Borax, the doctors believe that she will make a full recovery. Kathleen’s mom has taken upon herself to warn all parents about the dangers of letting their kids handle hazardous substances on their own.
Image source: Pixabay